Five Ways to make your Next Career Move
Professional development means continuing to plan and prepare for the next career move. You don’t want to get stagnant, stuck, or sidetracked. Stay focused on your individual career goals and continue to do what it takes to move forward in your career. There are five ways people typically make the next career move. Evaluate your own situation to decide what your next career move should be, then prepare now to take the next move.
One: Find Work.
If you don’t have a job, start by preparing for and finding work. Do the hard work that it takes to look for current job openings, create an application and resume, interview, and apply for the job. Here are some web sites which post job openings. Treat finding a job like a job and look hard to find a good job that matches your interests and skill set.
Two: Change your work.
Maybe you have a job, but want a job that is more fulfilling. Prepare to change your work. This may require getting a degree, taking a class, becoming certified, or learning a new skill. Invest in yourself in order to be prepared to change to a job you will love!
- The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
- Coach Yourself to a New Career: 7 Steps to Reinventing your Professional Life
- Second-Act Careers: 50+ Ways to Profit from your Passions during Semi-Retirement
- Repurpose your Career: A Practical Guide for Baby Boomers
- Strategies for Successful Career Change: Finding your very best next work life
Three: Move into Management.
Maybe you like your job, but want to assume more responsibility. Prepare to move into management. Learn what managers know. Once you know what managers know, practice applying management principles in what you do.
- Key Management Models: The 75+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
- Manager’s Guide to Project Management, A: Learn How to Apply Best Practices
- Service Management: An Integrated Approach to Supply Chain Management and Operations
- Key Management Models
- 25 Need-To-Know Management Models
- The Management Book
- The Little Book of Big Management Theories and how to use them
- The Little Book of Big Management Questions: The 76 Most Important Questions and How to Answer them
- The Rules of Management, Expanded Edition, A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
- Top 50 Management Dilemmas: Fast solutions to everyday challenges
Four: Start a Small Business.
Maybe you like your job, but want a little extra cash on the side or want to prepare for a retirement job – consider starting your own small business. Learn what you need to do to take the big step and set up your own business.
- Brilliant Start-Up: How successful entrepreneurs set up and run a brilliant business
- So, You Want to Start a Business? 8 Steps to Take Before Making the Leap
- The New Business Road Test: What entrepreneurs and executives should do before launching a lean start-up
- Four Ways to Start your own business
- Zoom! The faster way to make your business idea happen
- The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way you Make a Living, Do What you Love, and Create a New Future
- The Small Business Bible: Everything You need to know to success in your small business
Five: Become an Expert.
Maybe you have years of experience you can share with others. Maybe you want to develop expertise. Make a decision to become the best at what you do. They say that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to get really, really good at what you do. Invest the time in doing what you love and one day you will turn into an expert.
- The Expert’s Edge: Become the Go-To Authority People Turn to Every time
- The Highly Paid Expert: Turn your passion, skills, and talents into a lucrative career by becoming the go-to authority in your industry
- The Authority Mindset: Proven Principles for Establishing Yourself yourself as an expert in any industry
- How to Position Yourself As the Obvious Expert: Turbo charge your consulting or coaching business now!
- Authority: Become an Expert, Build a Following, and Gain Financial Independence
Use these five ways to make your next career move. Consider which of these ways will help you take the next step in your career. One: Find Work, Two: Change your work, Three: Move into Management, Four: Start a Small Business, or Five: Become an Expert. This can be the time for you to find the satisfaction that can come from taking your career to the next step.