Start the New Year with a Career Plan
Start the new year with a career plan.
This starts by evaluating your values, skills, and interests. Ask yourself a few questions to determine what you really want to be doing.
- What do I care about?
- What do I want to give back to the community?
- How can I help others?
- What kind of work is meaningful to me?
- What are my ethical standards?
- What am I good at?
- Which capabilities do I already have?
- What job skills do I have that would transfer to a different setting?
- Which job skills would I like to develop in the coming year?
- What do I need to do to develop those skills?
- What do I like to do?
- How do is use my free time?
- Which activities keep my attention?
- What could I do all day and not even feel like I was working?
- Which hobbies do I have that may relate to a job?
Once you have evaluated your values, skills, and interest you will know what you want to do, like to do, and are good at. This can lead you to the next step to evaluate your goals, education and vision. Here are a few questions to help you evaluate this.
- What is my career goal?
- How can I take steps to achieve my career goal?
- Which skills or capabilities could I develop that would improve my career options?
- What do I need to do to take the next step towards my career goal?
- Will my career goal make me happy?
- What education and training do I need to improve my skills?
- How could education help me reach my career goals?
- What education would be useful to expand my career options?
- Are there formal or informal trainings available to meet my needs?
- How could I get career training while I am still at my current job?
- How can I keep my goals and career plan in mind?
- What can I do each day to remind myself of my goals?
- Will my goals and career plan bring me a good work/life balance and happiness?
- Who can I share my vision with to help me reach my goals?
- What can I do today to reach my vision?
As you put your goals, education, and vision in place you can move forward to achieve the career goal of your dreams.